In the past, the need to wear glasses was an unwelcome necessity. However, now, when selected carefully, they can be as much fun as any fashion accessory. Choosing the right frame style to flatter your individual coloring and face shape is the key and is not difficult when you follow a few guidelines.
- Any style of frame will have the effect of covering the face, so the best hairstyle for one who wears glasses is directed off the face, giving an open look.
- Bangs are fine but should be short and airy or swept to one side.
The first thing to do before choosing your frame is to take an objective look at your face. All faces are different and you must determine the characteristics of your face, such as where it is wide or narrow and short or long. Refer to The Perfect Hairstyle to get an idea of the shape of your face. In selecting glasses, you should follow similar guidelines as in selecting a hairstyle.
- While those with an oval shaped face will be able to wear many frame styles, wider frames will add interest.
- If you have a round face shape, choose narrow frames with angular lines. This will add the illusion of length in your face and take away the roundness.
- For those of you with a square shaped face, narrow styled frames will soften the lines of your face and help to add length.
- For an oblong face, try frames that add width with decorative or contrasting temples.
- Apear shaped face is flattered by wide and more angular shaped frames.
- The diamond shaped face looks better with narrow frames if the cheekbones are high. However if the widest part of the face is low, making the face narrow around the eyes, wide frames are a better choice.
- Choose a narrow frame style for the true heart-shaped face.
- To further open the face, try lightening the hair color around the front hair line. This brightens your face and reduces the contrast between the frames and your skin with the effect of making the glasses seemingly disappear.
- Select a frame color to compliment your hair color.
- Blondes should wear delicately styled frames that are light in color.
- Similarly, with dark hair choose a darker shade of frames. However, very dark or black frames, especially if they are heavy, should be thought of as a fashion statement. Remember that since they can be very fashionable, they require a total look of fashionable hair, makeup and dress to carry off the look.
So when choosing your new frames, first be aware of these suggestions, take a trusted friend to help you, and then wait for the compliments because "Boys do make passes at girls who wear glasses!"
The Essential Guide to Hair, Makeup &...